South Africa’s most profitable airline extends technology agreement
JOHANNESBURG, South Africa, and LONDON, United Kingdom – June 27, 2018 – South African listed airline operator, Comair Limited (JSE: COM), has renewed its passenger reservations system, commercial systems and operations systems with global travel technology provider, Sabre Corporation (NASDAQ: SABR) to further enhance customer experience, boost revenues and improve efficiency.
One of Africa’s most successful airline operators, Comair has relied upon Sabre’s technology platform for its core reservations and commercial environment for its low-cost airline brand, kulula.com, since 2012. The new contract will run for 10 years and includes a host of additional technology solutions. Despite the challenges of operating an airline in Africa, Comair has posted consistent profits for more than seven decades – which is practically unheard of globally. Comair operates two airline brands – kulula.com and a British Airways franchise – which together transport more than 5.5 million passengers per year.
“Comair aims for continued growth, and investment in the latest technology is one of the key enablers,” said Comair CEO Erik Venter. “Our partnership with Sabre has already helped us to remain one of the very few airlines in Africa to consistently record a profit. Our strategy for growth and to provide an enhanced experience to our customers will be supported and enabled through our expanded relationship with Sabre. It will further assist us in continuing to evolve our customer service, growing our revenue base and controlling costs.”
“Comair has become an extremely successful carrier by adopting its own innovative approach to providing excellent products and services to its customers through technology,” said Dino Gelmetti, vice president EMEA, Airline Solutions, Sabre Under the new agreement, Comair will also introduce Sabre’s Intelligence Exchange platform. Gelmetti says that airlines only use 12 percent of their data to engage with customers: “With Intelligence Exchange, Comair can turn the remaining 88 percent into near real-time actionable insights.” In addition, Comair will streamline its operations through further technology from Sabre, including its Movement Manager and Recovery Manager solutions. More than 225 airlines currently use Sabre’s technology to decrease operational costs, increase profit and transform the way they serve travellers – including many of the world’s largest carriers.
Comair Limited is a South African aviation and travel company, offering scheduled and non-scheduled airline services within South Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa and the Indian Ocean Islands as its main business. The company operates two airlines: its low-fare brand, kulula.com, and British Airways as part of a licence agreement.
In addition to airline services, Comair also offers the following non-airline related services;
- A catering service, Food Directions, originally launched to cater to the airline brands, now also provides a range of health and other food products to retailers.
- Its award-winning domestic and international SLOW lounges have set the standards for airline hospitality in South Africa. It is expanding this offering, while its reputation as a lounge operator has resulted in management contracts from other companies.
- Investment in technology to improve operational efficiency and offer innovative products to travel agencies and consumers has seen it become the country’s largest digital travel distribution network, covered under the Comair Travel
- The Comair Training Centre, originally founded in early 2000 to train its airlines’ own flight and cabin crew has grown considerably and now provides operational training for pilots and crew from other domestic and international airlines and air forces.
Managed and owned by South Africans through its listing on the JSE, Comair has been operating successfully in this country since 1946. Comair is the only airline known to have achieved operating profits for 71 consecutive years, has a safety record which is internationally recognised and a level 3 B-BBEE recognition. Comair has independently been certified by the Top Employers Institute as one of the Top Employers South Africa 2018.
For more information on Comair, visit www.comair.co.za
About Sabre Corporation
Sabre Corporation is the leading technology provider to the global travel industry. Sabre’s software, data, mobile and distribution solutions are used by hundreds of airlines and thousands of hotel properties to manage critical operations, including passenger and guest reservations, revenue management, flight, network and crew management. Sabre also operates a leading global travel marketplace, which processes more than US$120 billion of global travel spend annually by connecting travel buyers and suppliers. Headquartered in Southlake, Texas, USA, Sabre serves customers in more than 160 countries around the world.